By An Ex-MLB Wife: 5 Reasons Why Women Take Their Husbands Back
An ex-MLB wife, who requested to remain anonymous, sent over 5 reasons why she believed baseball wives took their cheating husbands back. Portions of her essay were quoted in this article, Taking Him Back: Why A Baseball Wife Forgives A Cheating Spouse. For the full, unedited, unadulterated text, just keep on reading:
There are various reasons why women take their husbands back. My 5 top reasons are:
1. Number One is out of FEAR: Fear of loosing the lifestyle, fear of starting all over again, fear of abandonment. Fear of rejection, and etc.
2. DENIAL: You have some women who have a 'gut feeling' that something is wrong in the marriage and choose to not trust their intuition because they are not equipped emotionally, mentally, and/or spiritually to deal with it. This type of woman will simply ignore it all-together in hopes that their husband will grow tired of the affair and he will eventually 'Get it out of his system'.
3. Some women stay because culturally, cheating is excepted and promoted. We cannot ignore the fact that there are a lot of other nationalities that play American sports and they, both men and women, come to America with their beliefs from their countries. They have been 'conditioned' since childhood to believe that ALL men cheat and this is simply a phase that the men are going through. And in this case, divorce is not an option. In their eyes, cheating is excepted as long as, the husband are being 'respectful' of the wife and doesn't 'flaunt' the affair in the wife's face.
4. We CAN'T discuss athletes, money, and marriage without talking about those women that have the 'Gold-Digger' Mentality. This is what they do and it simply doesn't make sense to them to become emotionally attached to the whole situation. They got married because they saw it as an opportunity to 'come up'. This is business for them.
5. Although there is a percentage of wives that stay for those reasons, I believe that there is a larger percentage that stay with their husbands after they have cheated because they value the institution of marriage. There are several wives that have started out with the players from the beginning of their careers and have invested a lot of time and energies into their families and that is not easy to let go, even though the husband is 'acting out' and dishonoring the marriage. These women tend to be very spiritually grounded and tend to take the higher road by 'giving their husbands over to God' and continue to love them through it all.
Wives generally fit into one of these categories and often times more than one. When a wife finds out about her husband's cheating, she has to do one or two things DEAL WITH IT or IGNORE IT. And each situation is different. The coping skills vary from individual to individual.